Year 6, Winter 2023

Year 6s Forest school finale has been an accumulation of all the skills they have developed over the years with some extra challenges.  The children are beginning to develop their own understanding of how to manage risk, work independently and  manage themselves outdoors safely and efficiently.

We revisited sawing skills and all the communication and teamwork opportunities that it afforded us, then the following week worked one to one with adults and billhooks to complete the projects and make greenwood mallets that we required for the following sessions.

The children came to the sessions this year with a good understanding of what an efficient outdoor shelter would entail, taut sloping sides, shelter from whatever the prevailing weather is, safe structure and secure ties.  We progressed their skills by looking at setting up a bivvy with minimal materials, learning how to create a ridge line with rope and secure the edges using guy line hitch knots, rather than relying on plastic guy line tensioners.

Finally, we had loads of fun with our favourite games, grown up hide and seek- the Ninja game- and had a go at a few campfire cooking experiments, including toast, bananas and of course, marshmallows.

12 thoughts on “Year 6, Winter 2023

1. I like Forest school, especially building dens with guy line knots because it was really efficient and I had loads of fun. Charlie

2. I enjoyed eating marshmallows at the fire and making dens. The teacher always makes us be safe. I like lighting fires. Hugo

3. I loved the den building and we made our own mini fire. From potato peelers to billhooks I learned to use them all.

I liked having hot chocolate and marshmallows, it was nice and warm, and sawing was fun.

I liked learning tripod lashings and the den building.

I learnt how to use billhooks, bow saws, knives and ropes, it was so much fun!

When I go camping it will be really helpful, I can leave school happy for my future.

I really liked Forest school because it inspired me to go outside more and the skills I’ve learnt help me. It is a great activity it really helped with my confidence.

It was interesting when we made toasted bananas on the fire!

Forest school is one of my favourite things in school because we learn new skills and always do fun things.

I learned how to tie knots and use flint and steel, as well as peeling sticks, building dens and sawing logs.

4. I love Forest school because I love being outside and using my imagination to create dens. I also loved learning how to survive outdoors, Forest school is awesome!- Jemima

5. So thankful for being able to complete Year 6’s Forest school journey with them. It has been amazing to witness how they have developed so many skills and put them to use both individually and as small groups too.
    Always enjoyable to be able to light a fire and share time toasting marshmallows. Miss Cotton

6. I have thoroughly enjoyed my fantastic adventures and experiences in Forest school.
    I learnt all sorts of amazing lessons, teaching me to learn, grow and connect with everybody in my class.
    -Islay

7. I enjoyed lighting fires with flint and steel by myself, it’s a fun and interesting thing to do, plus great for survival.
    Daniel

8. I’m really glad I got to do Forest school. I really enjoyed den building and making fires, it was exciting using the big saw.
    I liked getting muddy!
    It was interesting making the toast in the woods.
    Theo

9. I really enjoyed making fires and it gave me independence and I am more brave now. Forest school taught me everything about being brave.
    Sofia

10. I liked how hard it was to start the little fire because it was raining, but I still got it going and toasted my marshmallow. Dexter

11. It has been exciting and fun to learn how to survive in the wilderness and I love all our learning from the past years. I think every child should learn how to live in the wilderness.